IDF: number of civilian casualties in Jabalia bombing still unknown
The Israeli army (IDF) cannot yet say how many civilians were killed in the bombing of the Jabalia refugee camp in the north of the Gaza Strip. This was evident from the statements of a military spokesperson on Wednesday evening.
An initial bombardment of the refugee camp killed at least 50 people on Tuesday, according to the Hamas-run Health Ministry in the Gaza Strip. Jabalia was bombed again on Wednesday, killing dozens of people, according to Hamas.
Daniel Hagari, spokesman for the Israeli army, told journalists on Wednesday evening that he himself could not provide a figure for the number of civilian casualties. He does point out that the extremist Palestinian organization Hamas is hiding behind civilian infrastructure in the Gaza Strip. “They want this image of destruction,” he said.
The military knew there were still civilians in the area, Hagari acknowledges. But he said Hamas’ activities in the refugee camp pose a threat to the Israeli army, making it necessary to respond. He speaks of a dilemma for the army.
According to the Israeli army, the airstrikes targeted one of the masterminds behind the terrorist attack carried out by Hamas in Israel on October 7. Hagari also says that army operations in the Gaza Strip are not aimed at the civilian population. He therefore once again calls on the people in Jabalia and other areas in the north of the Gaza Strip to move south.
Biden: Americans can leave Gaza starting today
American citizens will be able to leave Gaza. Joe Biden said this according to the news agency ‘Reuters’. The US president said during a speech at a family farm outside Minneapolis that the government will work hard to get additional Americans out of the region in the coming days, according to newspaper ‘The New York Times’.
Biden said: “We will see more of this process unfold in the coming days, working non-stop to get Americans out of Gaza as quickly and safely as possible.”
The Americans who left Gaza on Wednesday are part of a group of “probably more than 1,000,” British broadcaster BBC said, citing Biden.
The Democrat also thanked Qatar, a country that has “worked closely with us” to support negotiations and facilitate the departure of citizens.
UN: Israeli bombing of Jabalia possible war crimes
The Israeli bombing of the Palestinian refugee camp Jabalia in the Gaza Strip may constitute war crimes. This was stated by the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights on Wednesday.
At least fifty people are said to have been killed in the bombing on Tuesday. The camp was also bombed on Wednesday.
“Given the high number of civilian casualties and the extent of destruction following the Israeli airstrikes on the Jabalia refugee camp, we are deeply concerned that these are disproportionate attacks that could amount to war crimes,” the Office of the High Commissioner wrote in a message on (formerly Twitter).
This content contains cookies from social media or other external platforms. Because you have disabled these cookies, this content remains hidden. Accept cookies from social media to still display the content.
MSF employees, including a Belgian, have left Gaza
All international employees of the aid organization Doctors Without Borders (MSF) who have been unable to leave the Gaza Strip since October 7, were able to cross the border with Egypt on Wednesday. The NGO announced this on Wednesday evening. A Belgian MSF employee was also able to leave the area via the border crossing in Rafah.
The Federal Public Service Foreign Affairs had already announced that on Wednesday afternoon MSG employee Matthias Kennes is one of hundreds of people with a foreign passport who has been allowed to cross the border. A spokesperson for the NGO has now confirmed that Kennes was able to leave the Gaza Strip.
A total of 22 international MSF staff crossed the border between Egypt and the Gaza Strip on Wednesday, the NGO reported.
There are still about 300 Palestinian employees of Doctors Without Borders in the area. The organization points out that their safety is not guaranteed. Doctors Without Borders once again calls for an immediate ceasefire. MSF is also calling for humanitarian supplies and personnel to be allowed into the Gaza Strip as hospitals are overloaded and the healthcare system is on the verge of collapse.
A new team of international MSF staff, including a specialized medical team, is now ready to reenter the Gaza Strip as soon as the situation allows.
Israel: Head of Hamas anti-tank unit killed
Israel says it has killed the leader of Hamas’s anti-tank rocket unit in the Gaza Strip. Muhammad A’sar, a high-ranking commander of the terror group that controls the Gaza Strip was killed in an attack by a fighter plane, the Israeli army said on Wednesday.
The Israeli army released a video showing the explosion of a building from the air.
A’sar is said to be responsible for all Hamas anti-tank missile units in the Gaza Strip. The missions he carried out targeted both Israeli civilians and soldiersthe military said.
Last weekend, the Israeli military launched a new phase in the war against Hamas, with troops expanding their ground operations and deploying air and naval forces.