Miguel Sapochnik, one of the creators of House of the Dragon, will stop directing the popular series. He will be replaced by Alan Taylor, reports The Hollywood Reporter Thursday.By our entertainment editors
Sapochnik previously made several episodes for Game of Thronesfrom what House of the Dragon is a prequel. He directed the premiere for the spin-off, setting a new viewing figure record. Sapochnik worked on the series for three years.
The producer said it was difficult to take the next step. Sapochnik talks about “personal and professional reasons” that led him to “the right choice”. He does not explain exactly why he stopped the series.
Ryan Condal, who co-created the series with Sapochnik, will continue as showrunner. He continues to work with writer George RR Martin. They also made the first season together.
Emmy-winning Alan Taylor replaces Sapochnik. He will direct several episodes. Taylor previously worked for Game of Thrones. “The series is in the right hands with him,” says Sapochnik.
HBO says they would have liked to keep Sapochnik. They will discuss possible new projects with Sapochnik.