- 20′ – Yellow – Alhassan Yusuf
- 32′ – Goal penalty – Evanilson (1 – 0)
- 45+2′ – Yellow – Arthur Vermeeren
- 52′ – Red – Jurgen Ekkelenkamp
- 58′ – Yellow – David Carmo
- 62′ – Yellow – Owen Wijndal
- 68′ – Cont. Mehdi Taremi by Francisco Conceição
- 68′ – Cont. Owen Wijndal by Kobe Corbanie
- 69′ – Cont. Michel Ange Balikwisha by Arbnor Muja
- 75′ – Cont. George Ilenikhena by Vincent Janssen
- 75′ – Cont. Gyrano Church by Chidera Ejuke
- 82′ – Cont. Andre Franco by Danny Namaso
- 83′ – Cont. Zaidu Sanusi by Jorge Sánchez
- 83′ – Cont. Evanilson by Fran Navarro
- 84′ – Yellow – Francisco Conceição
- 90+1′ – Goal – Pepe (2 – 0)
UEFA Champions League – Matchday 4 – 07/11/23 – 9:00 PM
1 – 0
2 – 0
End of story for Antwerp in Europe? The Great Old remains 0 points behind in the Champions League after another defeat in Porto. A quick red card and a penalty ruined the chance of a stunt for captain Vermeeren and co. In the end, Muja had the chance to score the equalizer, but barely a minute later, 40-year-old Pepe caused Antwerp another deception.
Porto-Antwerp in a nutshell:
- Key moment: Deep in the second half, Antwerp was still able to score a point with 10 men. Muja runs alone towards the goalkeeper, but aims wide. Not 1-1 and on the other side Pepe finishes it: 2-0.
- Man of the match: At almost 41 (!), Pepe is still defending like in his best days. Thanks to his header goal in the second half, he is the oldest goalscorer ever in the Champions League.
- And now? If Antwerp wants to go to the Europa League, it must win against Sjachtar and FC Barcelona. A seemingly impossible task if you look at the past four matches.
Without strongmen Toby Alderweireld and Jean Butez and with Arthur Vermeeren as captain, Antwerp started the match in the Dragon Stadium well.
After just ten minutes, attack leader Ilenikhena, who kept Vincent Janssen on the bench, neatly released his buddy Balikwisha in the sixteen. The young Belgian aimed faintly wide with his left.
It was immediately Antwerp’s only danger before rest. Afterwards, Porto took over, without really being dangerous. Only after a stupid mistake by Kerk Gyrano in the box did Evanilson finish the job from the spot.