India vs South Africa Live Score Updates: IND vs SA, Mohammed Siraj comes to bowl the second over and de Kock hits a boundary but Siraj comes back very well as he clean bowled de Kock the next delivery. Ravindra Jadeja is introduced in the first powerplay and he gets the wicket of Temba Bavuma
Virat Kohli hit a record-equalling 49th ODI century and shared a 134-run partnership with Shreyas Iyer as India enthralled the Eden crowd, piling up 326 for five against South Africa in their World Cup match
Virat Kohli equaled Sachin Tendulkar’s record of 49 one-day international hundreds when he reached three figures in a World Cup match against South Africa on Sunday.
Kohli, on his 35th birthday, got to the landmark in 119 balls, including 10 fours, at Kolkata’s Eden Gardens.
Continuing with his high-risk game, Rohit Sharma gave India a flourishing start but South Africa pegged the hosts back by removing the captain and his opening partner Shubhman Gill in their World Cup match, here on Sunday.
Rohit hit a 24-ball 40 and shared a 62-run opening partnership with Shubman Gill (23) but the Proteas left them fighting at 105 for two after 15 overs.
Rohit Sharma won the toss and decided to bat first at the historic Eden Gardens stadium in Kolkata. No change for India while the Proteas make one change in their playing XI. Bavuma has opted to play an extra spinner in the side, hinting that the surface at Eden Gardens could be a dry one. The IND-SA clash is likely to be an enthralling one with the two teams sitting right at the top of ICC World Cup 2023 Points Table.
Former India captain Virat Kohli has the chance of a lifetime to score his 49th ODI century on his birthday. If Kohli achieves this milestone, he will join his idol Sachin Tendulkar as the players with the most centuries in the 50-over format.
In a series of firsts, India are the only team to have officially qualified for the knockout stages of ICC World Cup 2023. The Men in Blue are also the only side to have remained unbeaten in all their 7 matches so far.
India, who have missed the services of star all-rounder Hardik Pandya in recent matches, finally received the bad news that the Indian vice-captain will not be part of the 2023 World Cup campaign due to the ankle injury he suffered in the Bangladesh game .
Rohit’s side have had a dream World Cup run so far, with both India’s bowlers and batsmen featuring in the top 5 charts. While Virat Kohli and Rohit Sharma have shepherded the Indian batting, the trio of Shami, Siraj and Bumrah have made the white ball move as they please.
South Africa, on the other hand, have made a statement with their performances at this World Cup. Apart from a one-off defeat to the Netherlands, the Proteas have been in exceptional form with bat and ball. The opening pair of Quinton de Kock and skipper Temba Bavuma have helped the Africans lay a solid foundation that lower-order batsmen like Klaasen and Miller have been able to exploit. India named an unchanged side from their thumping win over Sri Lanka, with all-rounder Hardik Pandya ruled out of the rest of the tournament due to an ankle injury.
India and South Africa World Cup squads:
India: India: Rohit Sharma, Shubman Gill, Virat Kohli, Shreyas Iyer, KL Rahul, Suryakumar Yadav, Ravindra Jadeja, Kuldeep Yadav, Mohammed Shami, Jasprit Bumrah, Mohammed Siraj.
South Africa: Quinton de Kock, Temba Bavuma, Rassie van der Dussen, Aiden Markram, Heinrich Klaasen, David Miller, Marco Jansen, Keshav Maharaj, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi.
Key highlights so far:
1) Rohit Sharma won the toss and decided to bat first at the iconic Eden Gardens stadium in Kolkata. Temba Bavuma said that he would have loved to bat first as well.
2) Shubman Gill and Rohit Sharma opened the innings for India while right-handed Lungi Ngidi started the proceedings for the Proteas.
3) Keshav Maharaj comes to bowl and struck in the first over with a beauty to get the wicket of Shubman Gill.
4) Lungi Ngidi forces Shreyas Iyer to play a false shot to get his wicket who was playing beautifully untill then.
5) KL Rahul tries to flick the first ball of the 43rd, skies it and Rassie van der Dussen comes running to his right from deep square leg, slides and catches it
6) Mohammed Siraj comes to bowl the second over and de Kock hits a boundary but Siraj comes back very well as he clean bowled de Kock the next delivery.
7) Ravindra Jadeja is introduced in the first powerplay and he gets the wicket of Temba Bavuma