The difficult financial situation of FC Barcelona was also known to the Messis, as it turns out. And so Jorge Messi reluctantly agreed to a 20 percent salary cut. Everything should be repaid, that was the condition. El Mundo has now published what more Messi wanted and that has been described as ‘brutal’ by the Spanish newspaper.
– A new contract until 2023, with the possibility of unilateral extension for Messi
– Fixed salary: 20 percent of the fixed salary of 2020/21 will be reduced, with 10 percent of the salary reclaimed in the 2021/22 season and another 10 percent in 2022/23 with an interest rate of 3 percent per annum
– A box in Camp Nou for the families of Messi and Luis Suárez.
– Loyalty Bonus Payout
– Private flight for the whole family to Argentina for Christmas
– Upon termination of the contract, payment of the deferred amounts in the 2020/21 season, plus interest
– Bonus for signing the contract of 10 million euros
– Salary increase in the event of a tax increase
– Abolition of the transfer clause, which will be set at a symbolic amount of 10,000 euros (at the time the clause was 700 million euros)
As if this wasn’t enough, Messi also wanted assistant Pepe Costa – as well as his personal assistant – to get a contract extension. Just as long as Messi himself. In the end, the Catalans did not agree.
Here is inserted content from a social media network that wants to write or read cookies. You have not given permission for this.
Click here to adjust your preferences
FC Barcelona is outraged that El Mundo has published documents about Lionel Messi’s demands in negotiations for a contract extension with the Catalan club in 2020.
FC Barcelona wants to express its outrage at the deliberate leakage of information that is part of a legal process. The club regrets that the media in question boasts that it has access to large amounts of documents and emails that are part of the Barça gate investigation, while this information has yet to be shared,” the statement from the Catalan club said.
In the case ‘Barça-gate’ it is about the case that the then chairman Bartomeu would have hired a company for around 1 million euros that launched a smear campaign online against his opponents, including footballers Lionel Messi and Gerard Pique and former players such as Xavi and Pep Guardiola.
According to the club, the article in question discloses documents unrelated to the current case and its use is a breach of the club’s reputation and confidentiality. “Therefore and with the aim of protecting FC Barcelona’s rights, the club’s legal department will investigate whether legal action should be taken,” Barcelona said.
Pique requirements package also leaks out
After the bizarre package of demands of Lionel Messi leaked out on Wednesday in his negotiations about a new contract with FC Barcelona, Gerard Pique also appears to have had a lot of nuts on his singing. The club icon of the Catalans came up with striking demands during his negotiations in 2018.
Spanish newspaper Marca reveals that in 2018 Piqué wanted to become the highest paid defender in the world. He is said to have compared himself to Real Madrid player Sergio Ramos and wanted a similar reward from the Catalans.
Marca writes that Pique would have demanded a net amount of 12 million euros in the 2017-2018 season. In addition, that amount could have risen to 15 million, because of bonuses. The former president of the club Josep Maria Bartomeu agreed. Pique won a gross amount of no less than 142 million (!) spread over five seasons.