Brussels prosecutor’s office continues to oppose trial for deadly police chase

Brussels prosecutor’s office continues to oppose trial for deadly police chase
Brussels prosecutor’s office continues to oppose trial for deadly police chase

In mid-October, more than five years after the deadly police chase that left two young people in their twenties dead in a Brussels tunnel, it becomes clear whether three police officers involved will have to answer to the judge. The prosecutor’s office is requesting a waiver, but the families of the two victims are demanding a public trial so they can get answers about that fatal night in May 2017.

On Tuesday evening 9 May 2017 Sabrina El Bakkali (20) and Ouassim Toumi (24) rode a motorcycle through Avenue Louise. A local police patrol gave chase over Toumi’s alleged reckless driving. A dog brigade vehicle, which was driving a short distance away, slowed to block traffic. Shortly after the exit of the tunnel, the motorcyclist drove into the dog brigade vehicle, which is said to have stood across the road. Ouassim died on the spot, his girlfriend was taken to hospital, where she died during the night.

The investigation into the accident dragged on for four years. In the summer of last year, the public prosecutor’s office had filed a claim for non-prosecution in the courtroom, but the courtroom did not respond to this and decided to return the file to the public prosecutor’s office. According to the council chamber, the pursuit was disproportionate and the police should not have put lives at risk for a traffic violation that can be fined. The public prosecutor’s office appealed against the decision of the council chamber, after which the case came before the Brussels Chamber of Indictments.

The AI ​​then took the case to itself and itself proceeded to place three police officers under suspicion. It concerns the police officers who had started the chase and the policeman who would have put the dog brigade vehicle across the road. The case came before the AI ​​again on Wednesday, so that a plea could be made about the possible referral of the three police officers.

Prosecution statement

“The public prosecutor’s office has again demanded the termination of prosecution,” says lawyer Loica Lambert, who, together with master Joke Callewaert, represents the family of one of the victims. “We have requested the referral of the officers involved to the police court so that they will have to answer to a public trial for the deadly police chase.”

The Chamber of Indictments has considered the case and will rule on 12 October. Then it will become clear whether there will be a trial around the death of the two twenty-somethings.

The article is in Dutch

Belgium

Tags: Brussels prosecutors office continues oppose trial deadly police chase

PREV Good news every week in 3-fold – September 22
NEXT The probable position at the Red Devils is a difficult puzzle this time: Debast, Castagne, Faes or still Dendoncker?