According to Flemish Minister of Health Hilde Crevits (CD&V), it is clear: if research once again shows that the new Ventilus high-voltage line cannot be underground, then the discussion is closed. That is what she said on Friday evening in the VRT program ‘The appointment’.
jvhSource: VRT NWS
Today at 07:34
Last week, the Flemish government decided that a second study may be carried out into Ventilus, the high-voltage line to be built through West Flanders that is intended to bring the power of wind turbines at sea to the interior. This investigation will be carried out by an expert who will be appointed by the mayors of the municipalities concerned and who will shortly be appointed by the Flemish government.
The mayors want to investigate whether the high-voltage cables cannot be laid underground after all. A question that mainly concerns many local residents, because they are concerned about the possible health risks of magnetic radiation. Guy Vloebergh, the intendant appointed by the Flemish government a few years ago, concluded in his final report that overhead lines are the only feasible technical solution.
“All mayors are now convinced of the need for that high-voltage line and that is a step forward,” Crevits said on Friday. “But we want absolute certainty that it is not possible underground in direct current. There are projects that are held back for years because you do not properly explain in advance why you make a certain choice. That is why we are now asking for a second opinion. If the new expert now says: it is possible underground, then we must continue in that direction. If he says it’s not possible, then the discussion is closed as far as I’m concerned.” The decision should be made by November.