A 56-year-old man who was taken to hospital in life-threatening condition after a serious fire in Pothoekstraat in Antwerp on Thursday, died of his injuries during the night. The Antwerp police confirms this. The fire started in an electrical cabin in the basement of an apartment building. About thirty residents were evacuated as a precaution, eleven people were taken to hospital.
The fire was noticed just before 7:30 p.m. “A fire had started in an electricity cabin in the basement of an apartment building,” said spokesperson Ninke Neirynck of the Antwerp Fire Department Zone. Because the fire was accompanied by heavy smoke development throughout the entire building, a medical intervention plan was announced.
Resuscitated on the spot
Several ambulances rushed to Pothoekstraat. The 56-year-old resident of one of the top apartments was in serious condition. He was resuscitated at the scene and taken to hospital in critical condition. He died there during the night.
About thirty residents were evacuated and accommodated in a requisitioned bus. After a medical check-up, another eleven people were taken to hospital.
Pothoekstraat was completely blocked for a while. The fire left about sixty to eighty homes without power for several hours. The police had advised residents to seek shelter elsewhere on Thursday evening. Some can go to friends and family, while others are provided with shelter.