The council chamber of the Leuven court has extended the detention of the 19-year-old monitor suspected of assaulting two children aged just four years old. The Leuven public prosecutor’s office confirms this.
The Leuven police reportedly received a report last weekend of an incident at a Yes Events camp in De Bron in Leuven. A 19-year-old man from Hasselt is suspected of having misbehaved at a camp during the autumn holidays in Leuven. “The public prosecutor’s office has indeed started an investigation on suspicion of violating the sexual integrity of two children of barely four years old. “, spokesperson Ellen Durie of the Leuven public prosecutor’s office said on Thursday.
What exactly happened remains unclear for the time being. The investigating judge had already arrested him on Monday. The council chamber upheld that arrest on Friday.
The fact that the suspect remains in jail goes against the request of his lawyer on Friday morning. After all, he asked for release. That goes against the lawyer’s question. “It’s about a misunderstanding. My client acted with the best intentions,” he said.
The suspect is currently in prison in Hasselt, not in Leuven. Perhaps it is a gesture by the investigating judge because he is so young, to be closer to family.